Wednesday 30 July 2014

Wanted: noms.

Because I cannot get the unlimited variety of groceries and produce up here, I had to bring a lot of stuff up with me.  Tonight I went Middle-Eastern for dinner, with some homemade hummus, falafel, tabouleh (because I finally found tomatoes and cucumbers at the Northern Store) and couscous.  The only thing I didn't bring up was pita bread, thinking that this would be sold up north... silly me.  So I enjoyed all of this with some toast, and used my imagination.  And cried on the inside.   

I've been getting the worst food cravings since I've been up here.  I am sure I am only craving certain things because they aren't even accessible to me while here.  Like, I got super jealous of a friend of mine who's social workin' it up in Pang, because their Northern Store has a KFC and Pizza Hut... which I would never even think about touching back in Toronto!  The Tujurmivik Hotel here in Igloolik boasts the best pizza in the territory, with people ordering from as far away as Cambridge Bay and Rankin Inlet, but I'm from Chicago.  There are turf wars over the best pizza there.  However, many people have raved to me about their Arctic Char pizza, so I guess I will have to try it.  

Lots of time the chocolate here is pretty stale and almost to it's expiry date, which is a shame.  I bought some really nice chocolate right before leaving Ecuador and wonder how it's doing, sitting all alone on my dresser... along with all the other things sitting on my dresser which I forgot to pack.  

Then I think about all the stuff I can't have right now... Chipotle, Salad King, really good Indian food, Chinese food (wanting to rent a private jet and get Heng Wing from my home suburb of Palatine [yes this was your shoutout] to deliver), and then I think of how my wonderful Greektown neighbourhood back in Toronto smells - because it always smells so delicious in the summer.  This weekend or next should be Taste of the Danforth, and even though I usually avoid it like the plague, I will probably miss my hood being invaded by throngs of people from the GTA to celebrate and pay homage to meat on a stick.  I have nearly made an itinerary of everywhere I am eating and meals I am cooking (my wonderful slow cooker Moroccan chicken made with my homemade preserved lemons which I cannot stop thinking about, for example!) once I return home to southern Canada.  I am getting my hair done the day after I get back and fully plan on going to Chipotle and ordering like 20 burritos with some chips and guac and sit on my couch like Jabba the Hut and will watch an entire season of Big Brother.  And it's gonna be a beautiful thing.   

And hopefully I am still back in time for fresh Ontario produce and will have enough time to preserve and can that stuff for the winter! 

I also really miss good coffee.  And the ability to go and get good coffee before work!  And homemade chocolate chip cookies.  Gah.  I need to stop.  

Anyway.  Polar bears.  Icebergs.  Tundra.  Clear skies and possible northern lights.  And a pretty neat job and opportunity to really make a difference here.  It's been worth sacrificing all that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment