Tuesday 12 August 2014

Halfway Home

Last week, I reached the halfway mark of being here.  30 days gone, 30 to go.  I meant to write out this big long blog entry, but come the weekend, I ended up with an insane cold, insomnia, and crappy(er) internet, and kinda felt like I was over the north thing.  Now that my internet is back (after having to buy an extra gig and pay for next month's) and I can breathe out of one nostril, and hear out of one ear again, life isn't so bad.  Now if I can work on the sleep thing, that would also be cool.

I've dealt with insomnia for the past two years or so, with it getting super awful for most of 2013.  At one point I was sleeping maybe only 8 hours a week, and it was really crappy.  I can't stand people who brag about the little amount of sleep they get, or how they "never sleep".  It's not cute, and you're not cool.  Your body and your brain needs that time to re-set and heal.  Not sleeping is overall unhealthy for both body and mind.  I've found for my insomnia, traditional Chinese medicine has been immensely helpful.  Cupping, acupuncture, herbs, massage - it didn't all work straight away, but I would say after a few months, I was sleeping pretty regularly, and only struggling to get to sleep maybe only once every six weeks or so.  I even got to the point where I was napping during the day and still able to sleep at night - I have never in my adult life napped!  And I know for sure I hated it when I was a kid.  

I was feeling rather anxious when I first got here about 24 hour sunlight and how it would affect me.  I sun-proofed my bedroom by using aluminum foil and duct tape over the windows, and every night around 9-930 I would go around the house, closing all the curtains and turning down lights to make it appear it was getting darker.  It also helped that Igloolik has had some pretty crappy weather this summer, with lots of clouds, to hide the sunlight.  And for the most part, I was fine!  

The past couple weeks though, the sun has been rising and setting.  And unfortunately, I have been rising and setting right along with it.  While Earth-Goddess-Hippie-Karina is all you are one with the Earth, keep wearing your patchouli and Birkenstocks with socks, Social-Worker-Karina-Who-Unfortunately-Has-A-Schedule is all FFS go to sleep and stay there until your alarm goes off.  

The sun has been setting and rising every night since July 30th, and we lose about a half hour of sunlight each day.  However, I am quickly learning that just because it's "setting" doesn't mean it gets dark.  Even with the six hours of set we are getting now, it will only get really dark for about an hour or so.  The remaining hours will be a dark twilight.  So, I guess that's been interesting to see and all part of "northern experience".

These skies, though:


 I am pretty sure this is what Rod Stewart meant when he talked about the ocean meets the sky - you couldn't even tell what was what the other night.  
 The only filter I used on this photo and the following was an HDR one to make the image sharper - I did nothing to adjust the colours.  The entire horizon and sky was on fire at sunset the other night.  Makes up for the Northern Lights I won't get to see:) 




1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you're already halfway done!! So quick.

    ReplyDelete